Hair loss is something that is a common problem for many people and affects millions around the world, so if you are someone who is losing more hair than usual then it’s about time to do something that can help you to prevent hair loss and instead promote hair growth. With that said, It’s normal to lose at least 25 to 50 hair strands a day but when you are rapidly losing hair you should definitely raise your worries and concern, and be aware of how you are going to control the hair loss you are currently encountering.
There are many factors and possible causes for hair loss, ranging from genetics to other issues that trigger your body, most commonly because of high levels of stress, thyroid conditions, or toxic exposures one might experience generally. Though, Women are actually likely to suffer from hair loss due to hormonal imbalance that happens with the likes of pregnancy, menopause, or other hormonal changes that women go through. With that said, PCOS is a big contributor to hair loss for females, it’s commonly losing hair from the scalp while it also develops an unwanted hair growth in undesirable places.
Nonetheless, 66% of men suffer from hair loss by the time they reached the age of 35, and by 50 about 85% of men have notably thinning hair. Men’s hair loss is mostly due to the fact that men have hair follicles sensitivity to DHT which is a male androgen hormone that causes follicles to shrink which results in decrease hair production.
Having said that below are the things you need to consider in order to prevent hair loss
- Keep yourself hydrated – Dehydration does affect hair, for instance with mild dehydration, your hair might not look healthy as it normally does and with severe dehydration thinning of hair will usually occur as well as becoming brittle, dry, and easy to break off. Having said that, the hair shaft compromises one-quarter water so it is necessary to drink at least four to eight cups of water in a day to remain hydrated and for hair growth and development.
- De-stress – Stress has a major impact on your hair particularly in the long run. Stress causes inflammation which leads to fibrosis in the scalp and hair fall out. It also increases DHT in the scalp significantly as well as other mental health problems such as anxiety and depression so it is important to take care of mental aspects and reduce stress level as stress is the prime cause of sudden hair loss and hair thinning.
- Right, Balanced Diet – Nutritional deficiencies would reflect on poor hair growth, high hair loss and etc. So make sure you are eating the right diet that gives nutrients to your body. Supplements such as protein and iron promote hair health and help curb hair loss. Foods such as Lean meats, fish, soy are just a few examples of protein foods that advance hair wellbeing.
- Avoid brushing wet hair – It is said that when hair is wet, it is in its weakest state, so try to avoid brushing wet hair because the chances of hair loss would increase as well as not brushing it too frequently because doing so can injure hair and increase hair fall. If you must really need to comb wet hair, use a wide-toothed comb, or just use your fingers to undo tangles without the use of a comb or a brush.
- Exercise – Make time for physical activity every day even if it’s just for a short amount of time. Physical activities such as walking, swimming, or biking for 30 minutes a day could at least help balance hormonal levels as well as reducing stress levels which help reduce the chances of a hair fall.
- Reduce Alcoholic Intake– Stop your bad habits by firstly lessening your liquor consumption as it can lead to more hair loss, not only that, but it can also damage your immune system as well. Drinking alcohol reduces hair development so if you want to see changes in your hair health and promote hair growth avoid drinking or at least lessen the amount of alcohol intake you put in your body
- Avoid Smoking – Smoking much like drinking alcohol is a bad habit you definitely needed to stop. For one, smoking cigarettes decreases the amount of blood flow that streams to the scalp which causes a reduction in hair growth and hair development.
- Take care of your health – ASudden hair loss can signal an underlying medical condition that requires rapid treatment. Health problems are an indication of hair loss to happen so ensure that you deal with any chronic illnesses and other health issues you are currently experiencing to have normal healthy hair development. You might as well check for treatment options for hair loss with a doctor’s assessment.
- Massage your Scalp with Essential Oils – A scalp massage and rubbing some herbal oils on the scalp is essential as it promotes hair growth and helps hair follicles to remain active. For instance, Lavender oil has been shown to promote hair growth in people with alopecia areata which is an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss.
- Avoid chemicals – It is definitely advisable to reduce the frequency of hair color and other hair treatments that aren’t natural and includes lots of chemicals. Products such as chemical-laden shampoos, conditioner, or any other hair styling products as harsh chemicals and permanent hair color products could be damaging for hair health. It is advised not to color your hair especially when you are experiencing rapid hair loss.
If you miss our previous articles, you can read it by clicking on these links below;